From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:06:02 EDT
I would also like to know other reasons for tail hair thinning out.  I have
a ferret that is one and a half years old.  Now some of my other ferrets
are now shedding.  I don't see that this one is, but may have without me
realizing it.  He is a hair thinner and drawn than usual (he does this
during seasonal changes).

Anyway his entire tail seems to lack the under coat, and only has the long
guard hairs?  Its very thinned out.  There are no black heads or orangy
flaking of the skin from oils in the pores.  The upper base of the tail or
near his back is full of fur.  The rest of his body is full of fur.  Carpet
Shark Scott seems to think its a drastic seasonal coat change.  I am a bit
worried.  He never did it to this extreme before.  He is a bit too young
for adrenal I think and exhibits no other possible signs (its been a month
or so).

But if he doesn't have rat tail, or adrenal, what could it be?  How likely
is it a seasonal change?  Can stress do this?  Sean has been very active
this summer and has had less contact with Rocky.  He used to be with him
all the time.  Now he plays with him for a good hour in the morning and
pets and holds him intermittently through the day.  He used to sit and
watch tv with him all the time.  So Rocky has gotten used to a new house,
Smoke the resuce who he hates and we have to keep seperated (he wants to
kill him), a new baby, and now this summer Sean being quite busy.  His
behavior seems good.  We give him lots of attention and play time.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness: