From:
DTHOMASON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1993 19:58:04 -0500
     Hi there!  We have three ferrets, all from different origin, and
they each adjusted to their new home and people differently.  The one
that adapted quickest was the baby we bought from a pet store.  She
quickly acted as if she felt safe in her new home and began to like
being cuddled and played with, but only cuddled after she had
exhausted herself-- it was all that kit energy!  She is the big cuddler
out of the bunch now, often coming and asked to be snuggled even though
we pick her up frequently without being asked!  Next was a 1 1/2 year
old boy from a shelter.  He'd been there ten days, and his previous
owners were two boys who got bored with him and left him caged all the
time.  Their mother decided the ferret deserved better and took him to
the shelter.  He also didn't take long to take to the new home, but his
behavior with us seemed a little strange.  He had obvious interest in
us, coming and standing at our feet and watching us, scratching softly
at our legs or standing up against them, and following us everywhere,
but he DID NOT like to be picked up or petted at all.  Several months
later, it's still almost always cuddles and play only when he decides
it's time, but he does seem to like the occasional cuddle and will
come get in bed with us and curl up against our legs all on his own.
The last one to join our home is just almost 2 years old.  We rescued
her from a terrible home where she was constantly caged in a rusted
out cage set in a cardboard box and filled with kitty litter.  No
bedding, no food, no water, no toys.  She was supposedly allowed out
once or twice a day when she could eat or drink from the cats dishes.
If we had weighed the fleas we got off of her, they probably could
have given her a run for the money in weight.  Her fur and skin were
just awful.  The man who had her said, "I like dogs and cats, but
ferrets just don't do anything for me."  Despite this, she had a
lively personality and was very curious about her new surroundings.
She wasn't very interested in us at all, but then look at all she
had to explore!  And to be out of the cage without needing to spend
the whole time staving off starvation!  She would allow us to pick
her up, but promptly wiggled down.  We've had her 2 1/2 months now,
and she comes to us for company, though she's still not ever a cuddler.
She does have her tokens of affection though, giving kisses and
especially ear-washings.  She also will sometimes decide to come sleep
with us, but not as often as the others, and just about never if she
is invited.  All this is to say hang in there!  Continue to pick them
up and handle them, try to interest them in playing with you with a
towel or toy or just running around the room, and offer the occasional
treat, especially when they've done something good or agree to be
held for a few minutes.  If you pick them up and they try to get down,
don't let them down right away.  Talk to them soothingly and try to
find a moment of calm to set them down in so they learn that struggling
and scratching isn't the way down.  Try picking them up when they're
asleep and just cuddling them or very softly stroking them.  Our little
rescue girl sleeps VERY lightly and so the last idea doesn't work with
her, but it was terrific for the boy.  Good luck, and just give them
a few weeks of attention, and you'll likely see more of their real
personalities!

             Debra

People:  Raisin dispensers.