From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:59:20 -0500
I wonder which other types of hormonal perturbations show up in species
other than humans? Ferrets spend a LOT of time in many people's
carpets.

<http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/55542/title/Common_stain_repellent_linked_to_thyroid_disease>

Some segments from Science News:

COMMON STAIN REPELLENT LINKED TO THYROID DISEASE
>Long-term health study shows connection with blood levels of
>perfluorooctanoic acid
>By Rachel Ehrenberg
>Web edition : Friday, January 22nd, 2010
>Stain-repelling chemicals help keep carpets, upholstery and clothing
>clean — but
>Higher blood levels of the synthetic chemical perfluorooctanoic acid,
>or PFOA, are linked to thyroid diseases, scientists report online in
>Environmental Health Perspectives. It is the first report of such a
>connection between the widely used chemical and thyroid diseases in
>people and should prompt further studies, scientists say.
>study coauthor Tamara Galloway of the University of Exeter in England.
>The researchers analyzed data from theNational Health and

>Nutrition Examination Survey, or NHANES, conducted by the [CDC]
>The researchers analyzed data from nearly 4,000 adults taken for
>NHANES from 1999 to 2006 and looked at blood levels of PFOA.
>coatings that make firefighter gear heat-resistant and that keep
>microwave popcorn bags from seeping grease and carpets from absorbing
>spills. The team looked for associations between blood levels of PFOA
>and each of several diseases... People with the higher PFOA levels
>were more than twice as likely to have thyroid diseases
>PFOA is a type of perfluorochemical, or PFC, that has been
>manufactured directly and is a byproduct of producing other chemicals.
>Since the 1950s, PFCs have been used to make numerous products,
>including lubricants, paper and textile coatings, polishes, food
>packaging and fire-retardant foams.
>
>These compounds of carbon chains decked out with fluorine atoms are
>extremely stable and persistent in the environment, people and
>wildlife, and NHANES data suggest that more than 98 percent of
>Americans have PFOA in their blood. Exposure routes aren't clear, but
>probably include contaminated drinking water, dust and contact with
>products.
>animal studies suggest that PFOA may meddle with the balance of
>hormones in the body

So far I don't find any ferret exposure studies. It might be
interesting if some vets began looking at PFOA blood levels in ferrets
with adrenal disease and insulinoma to see if in households with young
cases of either of these diseases or many cases of these diseases the
ferrets had higher PFOA levels than in households without.

THIS POSSIBLY WOULD BE A WONDERFUL VETERINARY STUDENT SENIOR PROJECT!

Abstract:
>Environ Health Perspect. 2010 Jan 7. [Epub ahead of print]
>Association Between Serum Perfluoroctanoic Acid (PFOA) and Thyroid
>Disease in the NHANES Study.
>Melzer D, Rice N, Depledge MH, Henley WE, Galloway TS.
>University of Exeter.
>BACKGROUND: Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA, 'C8') and perfluoroctane
>sulphonate (PFOS) are stable compounds with many industrial and
>consumer uses. Their persistence in the environment plus toxicity in
>animal models has raised concern over low-level chronic exposure
>effects to human health. OBJECTIVES: To estimate associations between
>serum PFOA and PFOS concentrations and thyroid disease prevalence in
>representative samples of the United States general population.
>METHODS: Analyses of PFOA/PFOS against disease status in the Health
>and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999-2000, 2003-2004 and
>2005-2006. Included were 3974 adults with measured for PFC
>concentrations. Regression models were adjusted for age, sex,
>race/ethnicity, education, smoking status, body mass index, and
>alcohol intake. RESULTS: In women, the NHANES weighted prevalence
>of reporting any thyroid disease was 16.18% (n=292), for men 3.06%
>(n=69): prevalence of current thyroid disease taking related
>medication was 9.89% (n=163) for women and 1.88% (n=46) for men. In
>fully adjusted logistic models, women with PFOA >/=5.7ng/ml (top
>population quartile '4') were more likely to report current treated
>thyroid disease: Odds Ratio = 2.24 (95%CI: 1.38 to 3.65, p=0.002)
>compared to PFOA </=4.0ng/ml (quartiles 1&2). In men, there was a near
>significant similar trend OR=2.12 (CI 0.93 to 4.82, p=0.073). For
>PFOS in men, a similar association was present comparing those with
>PFOS>/6.8 ng/ml (Q4) to those with PFOS concentrations </ %.5 ng/ml
>(Q1&Q2): OR for treated disease 2.68 CI: 1.03 to 6.98, p=0.043. In
>women this association was not significant. CONCLUSIONS: Higher
>concentrations of serum PFOA and PFOS are associated with current
>thyroid disease in the US general adult population. More work is
>needed to establish the mechanisms involved and to exclude confounding
>and pharmacokinetic explanations.
>PMID: 20089479

No adrenal studies in relation to PFOA come up but some pancreatic
ones do in a search of PubMed.  None are ferret studies.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html