From:
James Hetfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:46:31 -0500
Hi all,

I have two ferts (one male--Chopper and one female--Betty) that I've had
since they were about two months old.  They're both about three, now, and
I've learned quite a deal about them, and from them.  I got a cat (named
'Phil') about a year ago, who is one of the more loveable types and has had
no problem adapting to me, the house, the ferrets, and even my roommate's
new cat.  I've also caught Chopper and Phil teaming-up while in the midst
of committing acts of mayhem.  Phil will also grab Chopper with his paws
and give him a quick once-over with his tongue every once in a while.  To
say it more simply, they're best pals.  (Or maybe Chopper is just an
undercover FLO operative, sent to infiltrate the feline species?)

The other day, when I was petting Phil, Chopper came bouncing up, over
the couch to where Phil was laying.  Chopper began the usual sniffing and
wiggling around, but then started to make that ferret pain noise--the quick
dooks, one right after the other that sounds like he's chuckling, and the
same one that happens when you step on his toes--Not the "end of the world"
scream that sounds like a baby who fell out of his crib.

What does this mean?  Is Chopper happy?  Mad?  Declaring his territory?
I'm confused, and have never heard of anything like this.  If anyone has
any insight, please post any information you can.  Don't get me wrong, I'm
not worried--just wondering.

Dooks to all,
Chris