From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 10:31:12 +0400
Dear Brian:

In the FML, you mentioned that your ferrets were doing their business on the
top floors of the cage.  Imagine being four inches tall, with a bladder the
size of a pea.  You're snug in your hammock, fast asleep, when suddenly you
really, really, really have to go.  Listen to what your ferrets are telling
you with their eloquent effluent: they would like another bathroom installed
in their home.

Put another, smaller litter box (try one of those corner pans) on the top
floor of the cage.  If they use the middle floor, put one there too.
There's something about the multi-level cages that messes up some ferrets'
thinking.

When Errata and Francine started doing this, each after their post-spay
stints in a smaller cage, I tried to train them out of it (reward, putting
ferret in the "right" place for duty, shouted "NO!"s from across the room,
piling bedding and food up in corners, you name it).  Epiphany came as I
found myself on the verge of a cerebrovascular accident upon seeing yet
another fresh pile.  I realized that the aggravation for all parties was
pretty needless.  when the problem could be solved with a $2 piece of
plastic.

So now, the girls brag of their 3-level, 1-bed, 1-1/2 bath condo, and we're
all a little calmer.

Sometimes you have to meet them half way.

-- Lee

Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the MASSACHUSETTS FERRET
  FRIENDS, but visit our web page anyway: http://www.mafferrets.org
         Ferret Information HOLTINE in MA: (617) 224-1098