From:
Tina Tortorelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 08:17:27 EST
I already wrote to the poster who "informed" all of us that Marshall Farms
ferrets used as research subjects in potential rabies vaccination trials are
then resold to the public.  But I felt the need to calm some fears that some
of you may have conjured up over this.  I understand she has her sources,
and I am not 100% CERTAIN that she is wrong, but I want to inform you all of
a LAW regarding animals used in research put out by the USDA (through the
American Association for Laboratory Animal Science):

    "Laboratory animals are humanely killed at a time appropriate to
    the study in which they are used." (AALAS Training Manual for
    Laboratory Animal Technician, p.167, 1990)

All research institutions containing research animals (other than rats and
mice) MUST follow the "Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals" put
out by the USDA and the NIH (National Institutes for Health).  These
regulations are carefully followed, and a surprise once a year inspection
occurs at every institution by a USDA inspector.  Each institution has an
Animal Care and Use Committee in which all protocols/studies must be
reviewed and scrutinized to every last word, and also an alternative to the
use of animals must be given for each study.  I seriously doubt that
Marshall Farms, the leading breeder for domestic ferrets used for both
research and as pets, would "screw around" with the USDA, the NIH, and the
PHS (Public Health Service) just to sell those extra few ferrets used in
their own private research (if that is the case).

Again, I do not KNOW for certain what is going on there, but I have serious
doubts that such a large, well-established company would violate laws such
as those put forth by the USDA, which appeal to EVERY research facility
using animals in the country (other than rats and mice).

If anyone would like more information about this, you can write to me, or
you can call Todd Marshall from Marshall Farms directly at (315) 587-2295.
I have a happy, healthy Marshall Farms ferret and I do not feel that they
can be held liable for any diseases our ferrets may develop.

                Sincerely,
                Tina and *Neely*