Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:48:59 -0400
Hello,

I really think the initial post re: FAD was looking for solutions to stop
the downward spiral some ferrets go into when surrendered at a shelter.
Mary McCarty-Houser (PFRA of Centre County) had a pair of well cared for
4yr olds dropped off and she and the vet did all they could do but lost
one.  Mary fostered the other (Nutmeg) at my house for TLC and frequent
feeding when she had to go out of town on business.  I am home during
the day so it is easier to give extra attention.  Nutmeg is still here.
Another recently came here a couple of weeks ago as she seemed to be
succumbing to "shelter shock" and started going down hill.  She has
gained 5 oz. and is happy.  Maybe if these more sensitive ones could be
farmed out to foster homes where they are not overwhelmed by numerous
strange ferrets and get more one on one the ending might be happier.  If
people with the time would volunteer to be foster homes to these babies
(of all ages) it might be a small solution.

My first foster was sent to me by Kym Barone.  (PFRA of Montgomery County)
In and email to a mailing list that Kym mentioned she wished she had
someone to give a little 7 yr old the time and TLC that was impossible with
so many in the shelter.  Shadow was a tiny girl with insulinoma and managed
to live to 8yrs.  My friend Sally and I sneaked her into the hospital to
see my husband.  They had a special bond as they both had limited time
left.  Ms Shadow turned out to be quite a blessing in our lives.

Often these "furkids" are older or sick and the shelter pays the expense of
meds and vet bills and the foster home takes care of the love.  Sounds like
a good deal to me.

All the best,
Peggy Alden-Clapper

Home of Cosina, Tina, Weaser, Nutmeg, Lilah & Fuzzy..and new foster..Nieva

See the ferrets at...
http://www.geocities.com/sleepyferret/