From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 11:23:18 -0600
     Has anyone ever noticed their ferrets drooling? My little fuzz-girl
Cassie was curled up in my shirt this morning while I was getting ready for
work. Bud and Sammy were playing together at my feet. With all the jostling
and noise I guess she wanted to see what was going on, and she crawled up and
poked her head out of my collar. I leaned forward to give her a better view,
while stroking her belly through my shirt. She was very relaxed, and closed
her eyes halfway in contentment.

     Then out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw something fall from
somewhere around her face. It looked like a drop of water or something. I
watched her closely for a while but it didn't look like it was going to
happen again. Just as I looked away though I saw it again. I thought maybe
she had a runny nose, and watched her again. Her nose didn't look like it
was running, and didn't feel overly wet. Then I saw a droplet fall from her
mouth! My dainty little girl appeared to be drooling! I watched, and another
droplet slowly built up, then fell. It was like watching a leaky drinking
bottle :).

     I was sort of amused and concerned at the same time (an odd sensation),
and opened up her mouth to have a look for any obvious problems (which she
didn't appreciate much, having been so warm and content up to that point).
Everything looked ok as far as I could see. About 7 months ago she chipped
a fang, and I thought maybe she had broken more off and it was giving some
sort of discharge (yes, I do get some wild ideas when worried about my kids),
but the tooth hadn't changed, and still looked white and healthy. Besides,
the liquid had been totally clear and colorless, not like I would expect
such a hypothetical discharge to appear. I checked her again later and she
seemed to have stopped. Was she just drooling? Could it be anything to worry
about, or was she just day-dreaming of kitty treats in her half aware state?
:)

Just being a typically over-worrisome ferret parent I guess.

John, Buddy, Cassidy, and Sammy
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada