From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 09:54:55 -0500
Could anyone tell me the chances of ever integrating a 5-6 y.o., who has
always been an only ferret, into an established business of four?

Cedes came to me a month ago when his owner wanted him euthanized because
of a preliminary diagnosis of insulinoma.  My vets talked the owner into
placing him (with me).  He does not have insulinoma (exploratory surgery).
He had a rubber thing in his tummy and awful teeth.  Both have been taken
care of and he is now thriving!

Tried intros last weekend and it wasn't pretty.  Champ beat the stew out of
Cedes.  Cedes was terrified of him and ended up with a scratch (bite?) near
his eye and a little blood on his ear.  I tried not to intervene but
finally had to.  I got out my ferret info and read that, after 2-3 y.o.,
a loner ferret probably will not be able to mix with other ferrets.

Should I resign myself to the fact that they will always live separately,
or should I try again later on?  He is living alone now and gets separate
playtimes.  This is my first time trying to introduce an older ferret to
my others.

Katharine