From:
Michelle Alverson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:55:46 -0700
Once again we must take time and energy away from the more important
tasks at hand and deal with mistruths and rumors caused by some.  I
understand your wanting to get answers and help.  Yet, if everyone from
everywhere keeps calling Brevard's Animal services, they will NEVER again
surrender a ferret to any shelter.  However, everyone can rest assured
that we did contact them with our information when this began and they
currently have our contact numbers for any future situations that may
arise.  We are concentrating on keeping the lines of communication open
and cordial, not accusatory.

For those of you who have ever had to work with a local animal services
organization, you are familiar with the system.  Most likely, as people
call, they will get a different answer to the same question each time
they call, even if you ask for the supervisor on duty.  While the
national level of the Humane Society, SCPA and others will advocate a no
kill policy, often they are a county facility and are understaffed and
underpaid and often the volunteers on hand are the ones answering the
phones.

Case in point, I have received three private e-mails from folks claiming
to have called Brevard's animal services.  Each one of these folks told
me of their conversation with the staff there and EACH conversation
produced DIFFERENT answers to the same questions!!!!  We have worked with
our local animal services, as well as the one to the south of us.  It
took a few months time, but now they know us and our relationships are
solid.  Our point of this is that you have to see the long term picture
and that is to have them WANT to deal with us.  They do not HAVE to...
We are confident that we can build the same relationships with Brevard
County.  However, they are currently covering for themselves and that is
THEIR main concern.

Jennifer had set herself up as a shelter with the Brevard County Humane
Society and was taking in surrendered ferrets.  SHE WAS NOT AND IS NOT
BREEDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!  These facts were covered in the very first posts
we made.  By posting these untruths as facts, that only serves to add
to the escalating confusion and frustration.  We repeat NONE of these
ferrets are intact!!!

To those of you sick of reading these posts, we apologize and agree.
Hopefully, this is the end.  We again state that we are here for private
questions BEFORE untruths get posted and spread far and wide.

FOR THE FERRETS,

Michelle Alverson, President
Ferrets-N-Limbo, Inc.
A Non-Profit, 501(c)(3) organization