Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 10:22:14 -0800
I am really sorry to hear that your having problems with your new sammy.  I
just previously posted to someone buying a husky pup.  Unfortunately these
types of dogs have overwhelming instincts to kill small non-dog type
animals.  Usually the only way you can keep them together is if this breed
is raised with small animals from puppy hood.  Not to say that it is
impossible to ever get the dog to accept them.  Your best bet would be to
start a dog training course with your sammy.  You need to do a lot of
obediance training with your dog.  She has to know that you are
unquestionably the boss.  This will take time...be prepared.  Another thing
you can do at home is a down stay with your dog working up from a couple
minutes 3 times a day to 30 minutes!  The dog must not be allowed to break
the down stay...don't let the dog make the mistake in the first place..ie:
leash, and while you are sitting down maybe watching tv.  This will help to
establish who is boss in a passive manner.(its not cruel, all dogs are
happiest when well trained..and secure with you as pack leader)
Eventually...with obediance training..preferably in a group with an
instructor, your dog will learn to ignore other distractions and pay
attention to you.  This could take over a year.  In the mean time...always
keep a ferrety smelling blanket or whatever around for your dog.!  Always
make any association with the ferret smell pleasant....maybe have it with
you when training...or lying on the smelly blanket in her down stay.  If she
acts aggressive towards the smell then discipline her.  You should go out of
your way to smell like ferret when training her.  Eventually, when you can
trust her to ignore distractions you will be able to introduce the ferrets
bit by bit.  You can still now have someone bring a ferret into the room
while you have your dog secured (maybe even with a muzzle just incase!) an
ounce of prevention goes a long way!  I wish you the best of success in this
very hard and heartbreaking endevour.  Don't be mad at your dog for she has
no idea that you would want to do anything with those ferrets besides eat
them!  Bit by bit she may very well come around and accept them as her
pack...especially if she begins to think your a big ferret and the boss!!
Don't give up and be consistant!  There may be a happy and suprizing ending
to your story.  All the best!

ps....I've have managed to successfully introduce a number of differant
species into my house hold with adult dogs!

Deb & Troop

pss......ferrets never seem to mind the other animals however!  just have to
be carefull if the animal is smaller as then it could become the prey!!  So
sorry for the iguana!  My deepest sympathies and regards.......once again...
don't hate the creatures for doing what they do by instinct.  Some mistakes
can be devastating and hard to deal with....instead, learn from them and try
to help others not make the same ones!