Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:22:42 -0800
We had quite a scare last night. (And kicking myself because I KNOW better.)

I saw my two cuddled up together, asleep under the bed.  About five minutes
later, I went into the kitchen, and saw the laundry room door (which leads
to the bathroom) open, just a crack.  I though "hmmmm....that's kind of
strange" and shut it, because I just KNEW my two were under the bed.  About
an hour later, I go to get them and only Lil' Dude, my boy, is under the
bed.  I looked in all the spots Boo-Boo, his sister, could have been hiding,
and then I remembered the laundry room.  I rush in there, and there she is,
struggling desperately to free herself from a toilet paper roll on stuck on
her head.  Any longer...and I shudder to think what would have happened.
(She, of course, got into the bathroom trash.) I will ALWAYS cut those damn
tubes up from NOW ON.

BE CAREFUL! THOSE TOILET PAPER TUBES CAUSE SO MANY ACCIDENTS...
If you are a new ferret owner, keep that in mind. Many ferrets have been
found dead by their owners with a tube around their heads...they just can't
seem to free themselves.

Also, I've always wanted to know if the rest of you feel guilty when you
have to cage your ferts!  Mine have free roam of our house (EXCEPT THE
LAUNDRY ROOM AND BATHROOM!) when we're home.  I try to let them out early in
the morning so that they will tire out by the time I have to go to work.
Then, they are already sleeping when they have to go into their
"house"....they hardly notice.  But sometimes, they're still awake and
playing when I have to leave.  It makes me feel SO bad when I have to put
them in their cage, and they stand on their little hind legs, front paws
clinging to the side of the cage, like they're in jail.  ("Mom...let me
OUT!") I have to leave the house very fast, so I don't think about it!

Also, to Liz...I am so sorry...you have our deepest sympathy.

CA DJ...Boo-Boo & Lil' Dude