From:
"CHRISTINE L. HAMILTON" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:02:53 EST
Thelma and Louise both "dig" at their water.  Thelma will go through a
routine over and over: she postions herself at the short end of the
rectangular bowl, puts one paw on the edge near her, and digs at the side of
the bowl with the other.  When the digging paw misses the side and hits the
water, she stops, puts that paw on the edge closest to her, and licks the
water off.  Then she starts again.  Louise just splashes randomly.

I think they might prefer drinking drops of water off surfaces because of
their whiskers, or because they get water up their noses.  When the girls do
attempt to drink directly from the bowl, they snort, sneeze, and shake their
heads after every few laps.  I conclude from this that they get it up their
noses, or they just *hate* getting their whiskers wet.  Or maybe they just
know it drives me crazy when they soak their cage!

Christine Hamilton

"Ivanova is always right.  I will listen to Ivanova.  I
 will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations.  And if this
 ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your
 lungs out!" - The Babylon 5 Mantra