From:
K Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 20:12:22 -0400
Hi--

One of my older hobs is balding on his forelegs.  Not the usual pattern for
adrenal or the usual places that he rubs fur off while in season.  Without
checking his paperwork, he's about 3 yrs old.  Anyone seen this pattern in
a male and did it mean adrenal in your expereince?

My one eyed boy Jack, is an unadoptable rescue because of biting problems.
He usually only bites when startled and startles rather easily because of
his limited vision.  He took a pretty chomp on my arm a few days ago for no
apparent reason and wouldn't even let go after being scruffed.  I had to
wait him out.  When startled he usually only bites then runs.  This was out
of character for him.  He can't be disciplined except by scruffing and
sometimes not even then.  My options with him are limited to scruffing and
timeouts.  He weighs too much to be held in a scruff for very long.  I was
so mad at him, I had to return him to his cage and end his playtime.  His
health appears good, no change in food or diet or local resident ferrets.
Any ideas I should be mulling?

Last question.  My 6 to 8 yr old female rescue has had a return of adrenal
disease.  She's been through surgery before at age 5 to 7 yrs and made a
full recovery.  A second surgery probably isn't really an option given her
weight, which never returned to normal even after the first surgery.  My vet
has been playing wait and see with her.  I think it might be time for wait
and see to be over and look at her real alternatives.  I can't be real
objective about her.  She is my favorite ferret and my first   She was my
first unadoptable biter we took in.  We've already lost one of the original
triumvarite.  Where can I go for the latest info on adrenal in old ferrets.
Other than balding which is starting to spread beyond her tail, her weight
is normal for her along with her activity levels.

My vet is very experienced with ferrets and listens to the local ferret
owners and breeders.

KG