From:
"Lange, Sandra SJ" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:38:09 +1000
I was woken up on Saturday about 3.30am, by a series of thumps and a
ferret squealing - I though it was the cat and Oscar having a wrestling
match, but I turned the lights on and found Princess now motionless and
comatose.  She was diagnosed with Insulinoma last week, and is scheduled
for surgery on Tuesday.  So I realised that she had just had a seizure.

I managed to get her roused, and get some food into her (mushed up Iams
kitten food), and she seemed much improved.  But later in the morning she
was definetly very unwell again.  We went to the vet, where I had trouble
speaking.  She was given glucose and cortizone, but she still had a
further four major seizures in my arms over a 3 hour period, while we
were sitting there.

For an hour after the last injection, she was totally unresponsive, and
I was getting prepared to say good-bye.  But then she started to make
voluntary movements, and actually turned around in the blankets (still
in my arms).  The vet was still very concerned about her condition and
possible neurological damage from the seizures, but she sent us home to
recover.  I think the vet was referring to both Princess and me :).  When
I got her home, Princess was incredibly weak but determined to explore
the house to make sure nothing had changed.  By the evening, she was
fully recovered, maybe not 100%, but quite close to it.

Huge relief.  Are four or five major seizures in one day common, or is
she incredibly lucky that she got through them ok?

I have been hand feeding her every few hour from a spoon, which means
setting my alarm clock for 3am.  (shudder).  Today (Monday) I have her
at work with me, and tomorrow is surgery.

The other three critters have also developed a taste for Princess' mushed
up kibble, so I will have four to wean off the mush. :)

Sandra,
Clover, Princess, Oscar and Gemma-the-cat in Australia