From:
James - SBC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:46:43 -0500
I took Jako to see Dr. Murray today.  I was there early so getting to
see him was not a problem.  I went over all the things I had discussed
with my other vet.  He took it all in, never interrupted me and let me
ask as many questions as I needed.  When he took a look at Jako, he felt
confident that it was Adrenal.  The tell-tell hair loss on his rear was
the main indicator.

We discussed the few options available, but decided to schedule surgery
for the May 13.  The cost is WELL below the original estimate I had
mentioned earlier.  Dr. Murray told me that I could go to Texas A&M,
or the Dallas surgery center, but that he himself performs the surgery
almost weekly.

I also described the funny sound he was having and lack of appetite.
According to Dr. Murray, that's like a gag reflex they make when they are
nauseous.  He sent me home with Carafate (ferret Pepto-Bismol?)  I've
only just started using it, but it seems to help.

Thanks again to those of you who referred me too him.  I cannot say yet
how good he is, but my initial feeling is good.  He was attentive and
could answer my questions without hesitation.  His office has various
pictures of ferrets and he has apparently owned them himself.  It's good
to have a feeling like we can do something and not go broke saving my
little buddy's life.  I hope to be able to praise him in the future once
we've established some history.  Ironically, I work only a few blocks
from his office.

James, Melissa & Kassidy
Loving:  Bebe, Jako, Riley
Missing:  Wheezer, Pym, Ricki