From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 18:22:15 -0700
To Lorraine Thompson:

> Does anyone know if ferrets can have allergies?  ...  The vet said her
>lungs were clear and there were no signs of any physical distress.  She had
>a slightly elevated temperature so the vet put her on antibiotics.  I went
>the full course but the noise continued.  I ended up taking her to the vet
>AGAIN because the noise got louder.  Again nothing--the vet said something
>about loose cartilage in the throat area.  Anyone ever heard of this?

Lorraine: Ferrets can certainly have asthma or bronchitis - allergies is a
more difficult condition to diagnose.  I have had one ferret with
bronchitis, who got it twice, both times at the end of spring when the
house AC started up.  I have also seen a few other ferrets with bronchitis.
We generally treat for a few weeks with a drug called Theodor - a
long-acting bronchodilator, and it tends to resolve in a week or two.

    I'm sure that ferrets, like most other mammals, occasionally get
allergies, but to what I'm not sure.  If the same problem happens again
next year, I would suspect an allergic/bronchitic problem.

I am not familiar with laryngeal cartilage problems in ferrets (although we
do see them in dogs and horses.)

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR