Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:35:31 -0500
I don't believe, for many of us (not me, at least) the issue is
whether animals are capable of killing - the issue is *under what
circumstances* animals are allowed to kill other animals.

When we domesticate animals to be pets, & we take these pets into our
homes, our intentions are (or *should* be) to keep them as companions -
to protect them, to love them, & to give them a good quality of life.
This is our responsibility towards those aniamls; if we expect them to
give us something (companionship), we need to give something back to
them (protection & good health) in return.

Although I was a city kid, I know a lot of people here weren't, or are
not at present. I'm sure many on this list come from a farming/rural
background. But , as an example, even city kids know the function of
barn cats - to keep the mouse population down by whatever means,
whether it be by killing them, making the environment not attractive
for them to live in, etc. We all know this, & accept this as a part
of the reality of rural or farm life. However, many people keep mice
as pets. Many people also keep cats as pets. In light of the
responsibility we choose to accept as pet owners (& protectors), is it
humane to allow a pet cat access to a pet mouse, knowing what the end
result might be? Some may get along - most probably do not. Same w/
dogs & cats - some dogs will not tolerate cats, some will. What about
pet cats & pet birds? What about pet snakes & pet rabbits?

To me, the issue here is not about who is killing whom *in the wild*,
but our responsibility towards the animals we profess to love & care
for, & what we do to protect them from harm, whether it be from our own
behavior, the behavior of another incompatable pet, the environment we
provide for them to live in, or whatever.

We are NOT keeping animals in a humane manner when we force them to
live in an envirnment that allows them to be threatened by other pets
that might kill them. Anyone who does this has failed miserably in
their promise to those pets they are responsible for.

Lin, Max, Puck, Ivan, & Mason
~ Missing my angel Ariel - 20 April 2000 - 20 January 2007. Wait for
me, my Baby Girl. I miss you so much. ~
~ Missing my Oberon - 4 July 2001 - 5 May 2008 - I love you, my Big
Silly Boy. Wait for me. ~
~ Missing my Madison - ? - 9 September 2008 - Our time was too short,
but my love is forever. ~
email me at: kay tee en eye el at double-u owe aich dot ar ar dot
see owe em