From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:11:04 -0300
I wanted to give everyone who has ferrets with early onset cataracts
a heads up.

Two of my Ohio rescues developed cataracts before they were a year
old. I've waited months for them to be assessed by a veterinary
ophthalmologist from Florida, who travels here during summer months
and sees veterinary patients.

They were seen today. One of sprites' cataracts is being reabsorbed by
the body, which according to this expert happens when cataracts develop
early. That is the good news. The bad news is that the body reacts to
the reabsorption by causing inflammation in the eye, which inevitably
leads to glaucoma and may also lead to retinal detachment. Glaucoma is
a painful condition and leads to total blindness.

Fortunately, she does not have any inflammation yet, but he stated it
is just a matter of time before it develops. Fortunately, there is a
prophylactic treatment available - daily eye drops for the rest of
their lives. The eye drop medication is Voltaren OP 0.1% (Diclofenac
Sod. 0.1%), in their case, one drop per eye, once a day - for the rest
of their lives.

Some Ohio rescues have developed cataracts because of the mink diet
they were fed (Fox, 2nd ed, 1998), which exacerbates a probable genetic
predisposition to cataracts. If you have one of these little ones make
certain to have her/him assessed by a veterinary ophthalmologist before
glaucoma can develop.

Tressie A. Dutchyn, PhD (c)
Dalhousie University
Research Project Coordinator