From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 05:55:56 -0800
>From:   zen and the art of ferrets - bill and diane <[log in to unmask]>
>We do not place these older ferrets often but rather these become "ours".
>We try for one less disturbing loss of home.  Same with health problems.
>Behavior problems stay or don't stay depending upon rehabilitation.

I'm truly confused by this statement.  You've accused shelters who do not do
fast turn arounds of being "collectors", perhaps your shelter is just lucky
that it only get in one or two ferrets each year who fall under your above
descriptions.  My shelter does not discriminate as to who we take in.  And
therefore unless we're overflowing and without additional cages we take in
whatever ferret arrives needing a place to stay (when we are overloaded, we
have to refer the person to other shelters in the area).

I've placed ferrets as old as 5 (and after an adrenal surgery) into new
homes with people who care about these dumps as much as I do.  I've found
that *many* people are willing to take on an older ferret, a paralyzed
ferret, a ferret who won't eat unless you place a thick paste on your
fingers for her to lick off and blind ferrets.  I've found it quite
heartening that the majority of people who come into our shelter are often
attracted to the ferret who needs some sort of special care.  I don't want
to become a collector and I feel it's much better for these ferrets to go
whenever possible into a new home where there are only one or two other
ferrets, rather than having to live in a shelter situation with not near the
attention s/he would receive in a private home.  The exception to peoples
attraction, are the ferrets who continue to bite and I now have 3 ferrets
who appear to be permanent residents because of this.  However, even this
can be resolved over time and the ex-biter may once again become a good
candidate for adoption.  :-)

Sandi :-)
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
Seattle, WA