From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:46:58 -0400
It is showing up on testing in asymptomatic pigs, too; not just sick
ones as possible sources of infection.

<http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/general/news/aug1712variant.html>

Indiana has the most cases so far, and here is the spread to date:
"The swine-origin H3N2 virus contains the matrix gene from the 2009
H1N1 virus and so far this summer has been detected in Hawaii,
Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West
Virginia, and Wisconsin."

Many of the cases seem to trace to going to county, and farm fairs.

http://www.promedmail.org

<http://healthmap.org/promed/index.php?name=United+States&p=106&g=&v=39.967,-97.556,4,106>

<http://www.geostrategicforecasting.com/proahedr-influenza-72-ah3n2v-asymptomatic-pigs/>

<http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/general/news/aug1512showpig.html>

If the concept of swine borne illnesses in ferrets (and people) seems
like a recent discussion see past posts on the topic of Hepatitis e,
found in ferrets in the Netherlands which is transmitted in several
ways but usually in humans from raw or undercooked pork, especially
pork livers, though the ways of getting it include eating infected
raw rabbit or raw rat, as well as others. Know that this disease can
be hidden.

(I like pigs; they are smart -- but these illnesses have to be taken
seriously, too. Also, I like rabbits and rats, but, again, know what
can transmit what illnesses and when!

Off hand, I think -- check the past refs already given to be sure,
please -- that the temp to cook to to avoid Hepatitis e is 170 internal
meat temp for 20 minutes. I do not know how litter pots and such are
sterilized in households with Hepatitis e in ferrets.

For the influenza I have only heard of that transmission from live
pigs.)

Sukie (not a vet) Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/