From:
Bobbie Daniel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1993 13:41:58 -0400
Peggy--follow your heart and don't put Snowball to sleep! My ferret
Shasta went blind and I didn't even know until I moved and she spent a
lot of time in her cage! She was so smart she knew exactly where all
the things in our old apartment were but the new one was unfamiliar.
 The vet told me,, when I took her in, "She's perfectly fine except
she's blind."
 I was upset and horrified, but the vet assured me Shasta could lead
a normal life but I'd just have to be careful about hazards she could
not see.
 I must have looked worried, because she added. "Hey, she'll get along
just fine--after all, she isn't going to be driving a car, is she?"
 Please listen to yourself and keep the little guy around! He'll thank
you. Ferrets are smart and have a great sense of smell and good memories.
Even normal ferrets don't have keen eyesight.
 So just love him and cuddle him and play with him and enjoy his company
for years to come--please don't do something you'll regret! Each kiss
he'll give you is a thank-you for your love!

To "newbie" in Scotland--my friends' cat-hating border collie Angus fell
in love with Shasta and let her climb all over him! My friend said Angus
even let her "do his nails"--she carefully pushed back the hair from each
claw and washed the claw, doing both feet while he sat there. I would say
the dog/ferret relationship depends upon the individual personalities
involved, with both success stories and tragedies. Good luck!

Kate and Emmett Kelly Point-Three     [log in to unmask]