Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:34:03 -0500
To Ardith, Jeff, Lisa, Michael Sue, Debi, Ts, Herbert, Kevin, Zoo, &
Amanda. I hope I included everyone. I can't answer all individually
because I have a knee problem and broken airport and can't sit at the
computer for long. But know that I appreciate your help very much.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and
concerns about pepto bismal administration problems and use of
chloramphenical. All of your info is valuable to me and has been
helpful.

To those of you who mentioned carafate, herbal remedies or cherry
pepto, etc. I have already tried these.

I solved the pepto problem by getting caplets, which are flavorless.
I crushed and diluted them and put them in Klondike's soup. Thank you
Ardith for telling me how to do this.

I have not yet received the chloramphenical and I hope he will take the
flavor I ordered (molasses) which I thought he would like because he
did like Ferretvite. Recently however he's been rejecting that. He also
went off his soup. He looked terrible yesterday and couldn't even walk.
I though it was the end and totally freaked out. Fortunately, my BF
believed it to be dehydration and administered sub Q fluids, which he
learned when Minky was dying from a local vet [he has done some work
for] who wasn't even an exotics dr. I decided to get turkey baby food,
since he was refusing his soup and eating only a few pieces of kibble.
He loves it, so that problem was also solved. I just started that
yesterday evening and raised his pred to 0.8ml (for insulinoma and
hopefully to also help IBD). He looks so much better today though
he's still very tired and is not yet back to normal (for him).

In addition to the severe diarrhea, I believe that forcing the pepto
and immodium on him stressed him out terribly because he was getting
peanut butter (his favorite) as a reward and now he won't touch it.
This stress could have outdone any benefits from the pepto. I highly
recommend using the caplets instead of liquid if you are having
problems administering it.

Lisa, I will tell my vet about omeprazole for IBD. He didn't want to
try a prescription med for diarrhea control until we see if the
chloramphenical works.

Again, thanks to all. I am overwhelmed at the kindness, caring and
knowledge of FML members.

Kisses to the furkids,
Shron & Klondike