From:
"Piggott, Christopher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 07:44:02 -0500
I am looking for a private breeder in my area, and have received one
recommendation so far.  I live in Rochester, NY.  If you have a
recommendation, would you please write me?

I'm not sure what it's like in the rest of the U.S. but in this area it
is nearly impossible to find a non-MF ferret at a pet store.  My 7 year
old, Marconi, died last week of cancer.  He was a Marshall Farms ferret.
About a year ago, his right adrenal gland was removed.  Biopsy showed it
the growths on it were malignant.  His spleen was enlarged to more than 2x
its normal size, but it was benign.

I am not a veterinarian.  However, I have read all of the possible
implications of MF's "business", and I am not sure what to believe.  It
does make sense to me, though, that early neutering and spaying could cause
of adrenal problems.  I am hoping that, by finding a private breeder, I
could adopt a ferret that had surgery when a little older.  (How old?  8-10
weeks, as opposed to 5-6?)

If anybody has any thoughts on this, including the latest on MF, please
write me.  (Based on old newspaper articles, etc.  that I read on the net,
MF has not satisfactorily answered the accusations, claiming "that
information is proprietary." I am keeping an open mind, but I would like to
hear others experiences.  I hope that some day we will be able to answer
questions like "why are ferret cancer rates reportedly much lower in Europe
than the U.S." etc.

Thanks for any info,

--Chris