From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:49:01 -0700
Hello!  I am sure others have replied to you too...but you have several
options for clipping nails...and a lot depends on the ferrets and on you.

1. Try putting lanatone on their stomach or in someone else's hand.
While they are busy licking you can clip.  2 of my ferrets will lick it
out of someone else's hand while I clip their nails.  I haven't tried
putting it on their bellies just because I don't think mine would stand
still long enough for it - they would run and hide to eat it.  But I do
hear from others that it works.

2. Have someone else scruff them while you clip their nails.  Note though,
I would recommend supporting their bottom when you do this, just enough so
they don't get hurt.  Only do 1 or 2 paws at a time.  Then love them for a
bit and then do the other ones.  This actually is the method I see a lot
in books and stuff.  I do this with my other 2 ferrets and it works pretty
good.

3. If they are sound sleepers you can do it while they are sleeping.
Mine are not so I couldn't tell you how this works out with them.  I am
sure they would wake up and throw a fit if you clipped too far.

4. Take them to a vet.  Most vets offices will do it ... for a fee of
course but you will have piece of mind that it was done.  I would
recommend this if you are not comfortable doing the clippings yourself.
There is nothing wrong with taking them to have them done.  Some people
just can't scruff the ferret because of medical problems or they have a
hard time seeing the nail and just how far to cut.

5. Another route might be to ask another ferret owner around or a shelter
nearby to help or assist you.  While the shelter may be busy I am sure
they can give you some ideas or direct you to someone that might be able
to help.

The quick in the nails (the pink part) will grow if the nails are not cut
regularly.  Each time making it harder and harder to clip their nails
because of the quick.  And yes, long nails are painful to ferrets as you
stated earlier.

Hope that helped some.  I have one ferret that just won't sit still for
the clippings and has to be scruffed.  I feel bad doing it but I know it
doesn't hurt....oh....also...whatever method you choose to do....give them
a treat afterwards.  I did that with my first ferret, Spice, from the time
I got her as a kit.  She is 8 months now and is the only ferret that will
hold still to get her nails clipped and her ears cleaned without having to
use any of the above methods.  No, she doesn't like it...but she is pretty
good...and she knows she gets a treat at the end!

Good luck!
Joanne
Spice, Pepper, Flower and Bugs