From:
Kathleen Hourihan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 09:42:18 -0300
I had wanted my next message to be all good news, about how my Charlie had
his adrenal surgury on Tuesday, we got him home wednesday, and he is doing
fine.  This is all true.

But it is overpassed by the bad news.  Pixie, my ferret with lymphoma who
was on herbal remidies (Pau D'arco, vitamin c, etc) has suddenly turned much
much worse.

She was never very active, but now she can't move.  When I went to give the
girls water yesterday morning before school, I found that she had messed all
over herself, which has never happened before, she was always so good about
using the litter box.  I picked her up and she was so droopy, she didn't
seem to be able to move.  I called my mother to check on her becasue I had
to leave.

When I got home from school I took her out of the cage and bathed her in
shallow water in the kitchen sink.  She didn't move.  After I got her out
and had her wrapped in the towel she started to wiggle.  I thought this was
good, until I put her down and saw her move.  She could pull herself along
on her side, using her front legs, in a semi circle.  She then shook herslef
and flopped down.  It was so sad.  He back paws are all curled up, she can't
uncurl them.  So I held her until she fell asleep and she then curled up in
some laundry on the floor..  she was shivering so I heated up our magic bag
and put it around her.

LAter she seemed to be feeling better, I got her to drink a reasonable
amount of water.. I thought she might be ok....

This morning she is barely moving.  I tried to get her to eat or drink, and
she would only lick off drops of water from my fingers... she can't live
like this, so we have no choice.

with a heavy heart,

Kathleen