From:
brendasteinfurth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:45:56 -0400
Hi, I usually prefer to lurk and read everyone else's postings; feeling
elated over the babies that make it through illness or surgery, crying
over the ones who don't and go to the Bridge, even if it is their time to
go.  I just needed to post my babies story from yesterday and today.

Took Max (approx 22 mos old), Sammy (approx 1 year old), and Rocky
(approx 6 mos old) to the vet yesterday for a checkup and to meet him, as
he was seeing them for the first time under recommendation from another
ferret owner.  Max & Sammy were due for their rabies & distemper shots,
Rocky isn't due until April.  I am certainly glad I listened to the
postings that recommended waiting 20 to 30 minutes in the office
afterwards, because about 15 minutes after Sammy got his shots, he threw
up 3 times, went flat ferret, and passed urine, poop, and blood.  The
doctor immediately gave him a shot of Benedryl, we waited a few minutes,
and he passed more blood.  At that point, he gave him an injection of
Prednisone, took him to the back, and started an IV on him.  Now, Max had
been fine all this time, and about 40 minutes had passed at this point.
He suddenly decides to throw up 3 times in quick succession.  We called
out to the vet tech to let her know, she came and they ended up putting
an IV in him also and keeping them both overnite with Sammy in the ICU
incubator.  They are both okay now, I picked them up today about 5 hours
ago.  Max chewed his IV out after only about 2 hours, and they kept an
eye on him all nite.  (This vet has someone there 24/7 and also a vet on
call after hours.) It just made me really realize just how much I love
these guys, and how devastated I would be if anything ever happened to
them.  Please, everyone give all their fuzzies an extra hug & kiss when
tucking them in tonite, they are more precious than you may know

Dooks to all,
ferretmommy

BTW the vet said no more distemper shots for Max or Sammy, and I've
already decided not to taqke a chance with Rocky when he is due in April:
he will get only the rabies vaccine.