From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:47:11 -0500
Hi everyone!

Its been a hectic two weeks since the last show and my SO decided to delete
an icon from my 'pooters screen because it was bothering him and ended up
deleting most of my config files and bat files, so the 'pooter was down for
a while being fixed, AND I have a lot of sick fuzzies (just a cold) to
medicate, but at last!  a break to read FML and respond!

Mrs.  Duck - I am so sorry to hear about Pookie Bear.  Just hold him close,
he knows that you love him.  You did the best you could, and know the best
you can do is let him choose his time.  :-(

Melissa - about those teeth - yup tarter is a bad thing on teeth!  If you
don't clean the teeth regularly, he could develop problems later.  If you
are not knowledgeable about cleaning them, take him to a vet and have them
show you how to scale his teeth.  You can buy scalers at some pet supply
stores both with a pointy end on a hook or a flat ended one.  I use both.
Be careful though!  And don't be scared!  The first time or two when you
remove the tarter, its probably below the gumline and it may bleed.  Some
people don't like doing it, and I can't say I blame them.  I do it myself
because its way too expensive for me to let the vet do 16 ferrets!

The "food shoveler" - I'd like to introduce you to my champion food snorker
of all time - Misha.  Misha is a young boy, almost 2, who sucks food down
faster than a Hoover vacuum cleaner!  He also weighs about 5 pounds, so
we're talking a lot of food!  His problem is, Mush (thats his nickname,
because we think his brain has turned to mush) will begin wolfing down food
like there is no tomorrow and he forgets when he is supposed to breathe!
He'll hork up a piece of food that he's inhaled and continue on!  I've tried
to slow him down and nothing works.  Now I just watch him and keep telling
him, "Misha, you chew, you swallow, THEN you breathe!" He gives me a funny
look and keeps going.  Oh, well!

The stove - Oh, please protect your ferrets from stoves!  We have a rescue
that had 3rd degree burns on her gums & lips and permanently lost a tooth
and most of the sides of her lips from coming in contact with the stove's
220 !  she had crawled up inside the stove and touched her face to the
exposed contact and almost was electrocuted!  The ferret's face is
permanently disfigured and has a hard time eating regular food!  Please
block off your stoves from ferret access!

Picnicing ferrets - with a lot of ferrets roaming through the house, most of
mine create a "stash" of food somewhere in the house.  I think it is to
avoid competition at the community food bowl.  I always find their stashes
of about 3 pieces of food when I go to vacuum.  I always wonder what they
think the next time they are running about and get hungry and go to their
stash and its empty!  Do they blame others?  Is that why the fights suddenly
break out??  Too funny!

Happy Holidays to everyone and I hope that Christmas is good to all, and
especially our ferrets!

Lisa