From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 18:36:12 EST
Question for everybody re: gas stoves.  About four weeks ago, I moved into a
new apartment with a gas stove.  It's not a full-size gas stove, more like
three-quarters size, and, although it sits pretty flush against the wall in
the back, my two ferrets LOVE to crawl under and behind it and go to sleep.

I've looked them over for any signs of burns, singed fur, etc., but there is
nothing.  They aren't even dusty at all when they come out.  I don't hear
them moving around much when they are under the stove - they seem to go in
and go straight to sleep, and then they wake up, give a mighty shake (that I
definitely DO here!) and go dashing out for the litterbox.

My question then is - is it safe to allow them to continue to sleep under
the stove, or should I try to block it off?  Paddington went under the
refrigerator once, too, but he apparently found it quite unappealing, since
he came out almost immediately and has never done it again.  Scooter has
never even tried to go under the refrigerator.  Hence, I haven't blocked
that off either.  It's also a bit smaller than a regular refrigerator is -
something like a three-quarter size refrigerator, with the freezer
compartment on the top.  Both the refrigerator and stove are about one year
old, if that makes any difference, and are manufactured by Welbilt.

Thank you!