Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 13:57:01 EDT
Southern fleas laugh at flea collars, giggle at powders, chuckle at sprays,
snicker at pest control service for carpets, and don't even bother to snort
at flea bombs.  They will be here along with our two inch roaches when all
us humans are atom-dead.  However, for the last year, our cat (and until
recently our inside/outside dog, now chasing socks over Rainbow Bridge) has
been on Program, the monthly flea pill or paste.  We are FLEA FREE!!  If I
pick up a ferret and look for fleas, I find none.  Plus, with the cat and
dog on it, our vet said the ferrets wouldn't need to be, and she was right.
It takes three months or so to kick in.  I have heard that even this doesn't
work for everybody, though.

My sympathies to Lorraine, who has to give up her ferrets for allergies in
the family.  If I weren't thousands of miles away and living in an 850sqft
apartment with two ferrets and a cat, I'd help you because I'm going through
the same thing myself.  After six years of living with my cat, I suddenly
began having problems with asthma.  Testing showed I'd developed an allergy.
I've been trying to find a home for her for a year now, but no takers
because she's 7 and, though healthy, needs medication (gosh, hey, anyone
interested can email me for more info about her!!  (she likes ferrets) We're
in north central FL).

I loved the influx of stories about vacuum cleaners lately.  Phinneas likes
to stick his nose into the hose attachment, and he has sinus problems, so I
liked that particular explanation, though it gives me new ideas about what's
in the bag!  Paddington hides, except for once, when he jumped out from
behind the tv stand and ambushed it, then streaked for his cage, his little
feet absolutely thundering with speed down the hallway and around the corner.

Tamara