Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 01:35:35 -0700
At this point we haven't even identified the ECE bug, never mind having a
vaccine.  Dayna's theory is that there is an ECE viral bug but that part of
it's ability to harm is caused by weakening a ferret and making it
susceptible to Heliobacter and maybe PVD(sp?).  Heliobacter in particular is
present in *many* ferret's intestinal tract who are perfectly healthy and
are preventing HB from "running rampant"; weaken them with ECE and HB gets
it's "big chance".

I don't know if she's right but the thinking is quite sound; she claims to
be able to radically reduce the standard "ECE Repeat Attacks" with an
antibiotic treatment for HB, if I follow her right.

But at this point, we have *not* isolated the ECE bug.

>My eventual hope is that we can use the new biotechnology discoveries to
>change how vaccines are made for ferrets... Anyways I'd like to do this one
>day for all ferret kind.  At this point I don't even know what the ECE
>vaccines use; I assume its the old method described first.

For a wild true story of crooked cops, stolen guns, perjury, fraud
and false criminal charges, see http://www.infinex.com/~jmarch