Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 18:17:38 -0400
If you take your ferrets (or any other pets) to the Animal Medical Center
in Manhattan, take the following information into consideration the next
time you think about taking your pets there.  It's very obvious that they
really don't care about your pets.  They just want money.

 -----

For the past several years I had been taking my fuzzies to the Animal
Medical Center on 62nd Street and York Avenue in Manhattan.  They have been
with me through two ferret deaths and one near-fatal allergic reaction, as
well as a series of regular check-ups and such.  They have always been
responsive, communicative, understanding, extremely competent, flexible,
and (when necessary) sympathetic no matter what the circumstances.

Recently, however, this has changed.  Over the past several months I had
two "ferret emergencies" which wound up costing me several thousand
dollars.  I paid off about 80% of what I owed right up front (basically
closing out my summer vacation fund for the third year in a row) and then
started making payments on the remaining ~$1000 or so that remained since
I no longer had any money saved up.  As of about two weeks ago I still owe
about $830.

On 5/24 I called the Animal Medical Center to make an appointment for one
of my fuzzies who had developed a solid-feeling mass under the skin right
near her anus.  When I made the appointment I explained that I still owed
money, that I likely wouldn't have the money to pay for her appointment
right there, and I asked if it would be possible to "tack on" whatever fee
would be incurred on this forthcoming appointment as I was still tapped
from the recent ferret emergencies.  I was told that someone in their
billing department would call me back.  I never received a call back.

On the morning of Friday, 5/26, I took my fuzzy in (I took half a day off
from work to take care of this as well).  I was called back to the billing
department and was told in no uncertain terms that they would not see my
ferret unless I paid off, right there, the $830 that I still owed them.
I explained the whole situation and was told, in essence, that there's
nothing they could or would do about it, and they wouldn't see or treat my
ferret until I paid off my outstanding bill.  I was also told that I should
have said something when I made the appointment.  When I told her that I
DID say something and that nobody from billing had called me back, she just
shrugged and took an "oh well, I don't care" attitude.

I packed up my ferret and left.

Via several emails to the doctor at the hospital that I normally dealt with
(Dr. Carol Canny) I expressed my frustration on this turn of events.  Over
several years I had paid all of my bills off on time.  The ONLY reason why
I couldn't pay this one off all at once is because I already gave all of
my money to the hospital for previous services.  I quite literally didn't
have anything left.  On top of that, I had *ALWAYS* given the hospital
additional funds whenever one of their (MANY) fundraising letters arrived
at my home.

So here I am, a loyal and repeat client with a good track record of paying
my bills off on time, paying off several THOUSAND dollars right up front,
making regular payments on the comparatively-small remaining balance that
I owe them, referring additional pet owners to their hospital, and with
a consistent record of donating extra money to their fundraising drives.
Their "thank you" consists of nothing more than "give me our money or your
pet may suffer or die".

I have no issue with the fact that the hospital deserves their money.  I'm
not trying to duck them or avoid paying it.  I would pay it all off right
now if it weren't for the fact that I simply don't have it, and it will
take me another month or so to get enough together to pay them off.  And as
soon as I get the money together I will write them a check, I will request
a copy of my ferrets' medical records (I doubt I'll get them, but I'll
ask), and I'll have nothing more to do with them.

What I *DO* have an issue with is the fact that the hospital always tries
to present themselves as this big humanitarian organization that puts the
welfare of the pet above all else.  This is clearly not the case.  My
ferret has a very unusual, possibly life-threatening growth, and is
experiencing a significant change in behavior, and they won't even think
about seeing her because I don't have as much money on hand as they'd like
me to have.  Dr. Canny even appealed on my behalf; she told me via email,
"I spoke with our controller today and he will not issue you any more
credit.  Even though you spent alot of money, they just see it as not
paying your bill."

Where are the humanitarians that the hospital proclaims so loudly to be?

I therefore have a request to pet owners in general and Ferret Mailing List
readers in specific.  If you take your pet(s) to the Animal Medical Center,
please take them elsewhere.  If you're like me, you'd rather take your pets
to a place where perhaps the facilities aren't as spectacular but their
hearts are in the right place because you know that they'll move mountains
in order to ensure that your pets will be well taken care of.  Clearly, the
Animal Medical Center doesn't care that much as they only care when you
have enough money to keep them pacified.  And if you do take up this banner
with me, please be sure to let them know precisely why you're taking your
business elsewhere.

And a second request: Does anyone have any recommendations for a new vet?  I
live in Jersey City and would prefer a vet in that area, but if necessary I
will take a Manhattan vet.  Before I started frequenting the Animal Medical
Center I would take my ferrets to the Lexington Veterinary Group on 39th
Street & Lexington Avenue, but I don't believe they're equipped enough to
handle the sorts of emergencies which I've experienced with my ferrets in
the past so I'd like to find one which is a bit better equipped.  Any
recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.