From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 02:12:49 -0800
Last fall I lost three of my eldest ferrets within a two week period.
First Puck, who was around four and healthy till one evening he stopped
eating and was very lethargic. Brought him to the vet the next day and
he was incredibly weak. Ran some tests and said his kidney levels were
really bad and that it was most likely Lymphoma in his kidneys. He was
on an IV for a day before passing. Puck's famous for his "Ferrets can't
jump" video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1NTPZm2YO0
He was adopted from Little Dude Ferret Ranch a few years ago when he
was about a year and a half.

Two weeks later I suddenly lost Sassy my second eldest ferret who was
Adrenal and had been on Lupron injections for about eight months. I
woke to her seizuring with sad little squeaks and by the time I made
it to the vets she had passed  Those of you that have seen my Youtube
videos know her as the itty bitty black sable with BIG attitude. She
was such a cute little thing but brave enough to steal slippers WHILE
YOU WERE STILL WEARING THEM! I'd adopted her from Little Dudes Ferret
Ranch when she was about a year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs6nfnQlBWM

And three days after losing Sassy, I lost Roxy, her lifetime pal
who had known her from the shelter they both came from and had been
together for the past four years. Roxy had had Insulinoma for the
past year and a half and I had an alarm that went off every day at 10
AM/10PM for her Prednisolone. Even had neighbour's teenagers taught to
give her her meds so I could take weekends away occasionally to show my
former shelter now show cat. Roxy had been REALLY well on the Pred -
far better than any prior Insulinomic ferret I'd had. Very active, very
happy, great appetite. I think she just gave up when Sassy died so
quickly after losing Puck. Roxy's claim to fame is Cinesite UK used her
to model turning Malfoy into a white ferret in one of the Harry Potter
films using this video
http://www.youtube com/watch?v=JhgNCIPIMrA

This left my three year old ferret Pan and four year old Jack. Both got
VERY depressed and I was having to force feed them. I really didn't
feel I had the strength for more ferrets after so many losses - and 13
years of having them and all those other losses - but I couldn't let
down my two boys I felt I just wanted to give up entirely on ferrets
but there was no way I give these boys away. They're my kids. So I
ended up bringing home Bitzy, a little three month old ferret I found
at Petco. WOW what a difference in my two older boys! They went from
just wanting to sleep to wearing themselves out chasing after her. And
they started eating again - and big time! Any weight they'd lost came
back quickly - and then some! But man, was she wearing them out! They
looked like grandpas chasing after way too hyper grandkids. I felt bad
when they, as typical ferrets do, would romp for an hour or so then go
off to snooze and she'd be wandering around like Where'd everybody
go??"

So I looked online for local shelter ferrets and also craigslist for
another young ferret. I found a couple in my town that had a six month
old girl they'd bought a couple of months that they realized they just
couldn't keep. I went and met them with Pan and Bitzy and they loved
her instantly. Brought her home and wow - even more happiness in this
household. Now Bitzy s got someone as energetic, no, even MORE as
you'll see in these vids - Mitzy seriously can go for about three to
four hours straight LOL!!! And the boys have two new friends to cuddle
with. I really think these little girls saved Pan and Jack. And my
faith that things could be happy again in our ferret family.

Some of you know my Youtube channel but for those that don't
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ferretocious
Lots of vids of my two young girls, Bitzy and Mitzy romping with my two
older boys as well as vids of most of my other ferrets over the years -

RIP Teddy, Freddy, Eddy, Andy, Oliver, Ringo, Duncan, Johnny Rotten,
Puck, Sassy and Roxy.

The new Ferretocious Four,