From:
Christine Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 18:49:56 -0400
RE: Trish's ferret with a swollen vulva

I don't know if this has been discussed on the FML recently (been on
vacation!), but I just want to stress that a swollen vulva, especially
without hair loss can mean a whole female.  Also, an ultrasound may not show
the reproductive system, and from what my vet said, the only sure way to
tell is exploratory surgery.  The good news is, if it is an unspayed female,
the incision doesn't need to be large, and if she is truly unspayed (instead
of having an ovary remnant), and you got her at a pet store, they will
probably pay for the surgery.  Also note that an incision scar doesn't
necessarily mean the animal was spayed.  My Louise had a beautiful little
tummy scar, and her full reproductive system intact!  Of course, if it is
true heat, you must spay the girl to save her from aplastic anemia.

Unfortunately, I waited too long to schedule Thelma's surgery, and she died
on June 6.  I hope this information can save someone else the pain we've
been through.

Christine