From:
Shelley Straight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 16:41:49 -0500
We learned our veterinary parasitology class that it was "ridiculous" to
think that ferrets could transmit toxoplasmosis to humans.  Now, in my vast
knowledge of the subject (LOL- I am only a second year student) I would
never say never.  Cats are the definative host for toxo. and therefore are
the only animals in which the parasite can reproduce.  That is why cleaning
cat litter boxes is a threat to pregnant women.  Let it be known however,
that most people who test positive for toxo. aquired it through poorly
cooked pork.(Not through cat feces)

If you already have antibody to toxo, then you don't have to worry about
transmitting it to your fetus.  A good portion of the population is already
exposed and don't know it becasue it isn't a problem unless you are
pregnant.  Getting your blood tested might releive your anxiety.

AS for ferrets, they are not the definative host.  If your ferret got toxo.,
it can not replicate inside your ferret.  If however your ferret eats cat
feces, I would think it would be possible for the toxo to go through the GI
tract and into the feces.  Then you would be at risk cleaning the litter
box.  Very unlikely!

And in addition, toxo is not infective until hours after it is excreted in
the feces.  If the litter box is cleaned frequently there shouldn't be a
problem.  Plus wearing gloves is a good precaution too.

I can't remember who asked the question now, but if you are pregnant and
making a descision, good luck.

Shelley Straight
Virginia-Maryland Regional
College of Veterinary Medicine

[Moderator's note: Previous posts on the FML from vets have indicated that
although cases of toxoplasmosis in ferrets is exceedingly rare, it *has*
happened.  At least once, anyhow.  BIG]