From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:18:10 -0500
On the FHL we have been having a very interesting discussion on how
people can at time accidently poison their ferrets without realizing it.

Most of what is out there is info in regard to other members of
carnivora, but some times if you then repeat the search adding ferret to
search you find descriptions which mesh what happens to dogs or cats.

Here is one of the discussions which has been going on:
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscussion.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=11259

There are key words or phrases with some types of cleansers and other
compounds, and they can range from:

1. Make sure it dries first.  (Often seen.)
2. Rinse well.  (Also often seen.)
3. Don't let your animals near this one.
4. Avoid using this in the house if you have such and such a type of
   animal there.
5. This one is okay.
6. There is a false rumor about this one (for example the false rumor
   about Febreeze though it is essential to NOT use it directly on the
   pet, the pet bedding, etc. and to always let it dry completely).

Getting right to a vet and using the ASPCA poisoning expert group through
your vet when needed is the way to go when there are poisoning concerns.
There is a case by case charge for individual consultations by phone.
Keep the URL and phone number handy:
http://www.napcc.aspca.org/
(888) 426-4435

Some resources:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=apcc_press
http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?
page=NewsArticle&id=16054&security=2220&news_iv_ctrl=1101
http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?
page=NewsArticle&id=12486&security=2143&news_iv_ctrl=1101
Here is a good one (Using the "more" link for each brings up a lot.)
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=apcc_toxpublications
and
http://www.fabcats.org/poison_article.html
http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0175.htm
http://www.valleyhumanesociety.org/adopt/welcomecat/index3.cfm
http://www.valleyhumanesociety.org/adopt/welcomedog/index2.cfm
http://www.valleyvetservice.petplace.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=4665

Looking up some of the common cleaning products has been a wake-up call
for me.  I have long known the quote that "Every home has its own little
Superfund Site and it is called the cleaning cabinet".  Despite that when
I began looking up some specific compounds using search engines I found
that quite a number of everyday cleaning products are so poisonous that
they have been used for suicides and more.  Some are incidious and others
cause acute problems.  Some can do either depending on how much is used
and how often.  BE CAREFUL!