From:
Carol Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:09:58 -0700
Moxie, are you sure they are clothes moths?  It's more likely, with the
food in there as well as dust and dander, that they are Indian meal
moths.  I had a serious infestation years ago in a closet where I kept
dog food.  The larvae eat dry anything; pet food is really tasty.  They
are kind of pink and about 3/8 to 1/2 inch long.  When ready to pupate
they crawl on the wall or anywhere, spin a loose cocoon and metamorphose
into a little moth with brown wings and spots.  They are commonly seen
in grocery stores in the bean and rice area and pet food and bird food
departments.  Some stores put little pheromone traps up under the
shelves.  They are sticky and attract the males.  You can get them, too,
from pest control catalogs or departments.  The best thing to do is
vacuum regularly and change the vac bag, too.  Watch any dry food in your
cabinets.  Freezing will kill them.  Could you keep the fert out of the
closet?

My closets in my new house have sliding by-pass doos and the kids love to
get in there to sleep.  I foiled them now.  I bought and installed patio
door locks by screwing them on the forward edge of the outer door.  There
is a peg that pokes out to lock the door and I had to drill a 1/4 inch
hole in the door in back to recieve the peg.  Now i just have to remember
to latch it after I open the door for my clothes.