From:
Karen Rochette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:03:53 EST
Hi all,last week I just had to share the story of Cinnamon and Spice;2
sable fuzzies that Mom and I just Had to rescue.  They have such sweet
dignity and Grace that I found I had to share their story with you.
Several of you sent us an E-mailed message after they read their tale.
You asked that I Keep you updated on their progress.

Here's their 1st. Update.

We thought they were coming along just fine,especially after their first
visit to Norman,and he prescribes amoxocillian for their colds,as both were
heavily congested.  Mom and I were already working on cleaning their ears,
and trimming back their toe nails.  They,themselves had pretty much trained
themselves for their New litter pans,as they had No desire to mess in their
cage,and haven't since!

But,on Sunday night 11/8 Cinnamon refused to come out of her cage and play
with the others.  Up until Sunday night,she had been regularly coming out,
and exploring her new Enviroment!  She was now accepting the cheerios from
us,the same as all of our other Kids.  I should mention,that between the
two of us,Mom and I had given the Kids hair ball remover,duck soupe,and
their medicine dosages!  Now for our Original Kids,they've all become Used
to things,sometimes together,sometimes Not.  Usually though,we tried to
give the duck soupe by itself ,whenever we had to give it,but on Sunday,I
forgot to check with Mom first to see what she had given them.  Everyone
took it though,without any trouble so we didn't think anything of it Until
Cinnamon wouldn't come out.  Then at first, we thought that Maybe getting
out daily for 2-3 hrs.  was a little too much for her,especially when she
wasn't Used to this kind of exercise,and then mixing it up with our 11 wk.
Smokey who simply Exhausts All;fuzzies,as well as Humans.  But Monday,when
Mom went in,she found vommit in several places in the cage.  she told me,it
looked as if the sick ferret had try to get clear of their bedding,and
succeeded the 1st. couple of times,but finally they just couldn't make it!

She opened the doors,and let Everyone,including Cinnamon out,then cleaned
Every last bit of the mess out!  Monday morning,Cinnamon came out and
romped and played with All of us including me and mom!  She war danced,
chased Smokey ,stashed a few of her favorite toys,it was great!  She seemed
perfectly fine!  Then,on Monday night--- Spice refused to come out!  We
took him out,gave him his medicine,then put him back into his cage.  He did
just as Cinnamon did,covered completely up and went to sleep!  We checked
on him before we went to bed,there was no signe of vomit,but he simply
recovered himself and went back to sleep!

On Tues. morning Mom said he came out for a short time,but then he went
off by himself and curled up into our carrier,wich we leave out for them to
play and rest in when they want to!  I should mention,Mom and I axamined
Both Cinnamon and Spice for signes of a more serious illness!  There Still
is none!

When I went on Monday to get some more amoxocillian,I mentioned to Norman,
that we use oil heat for our house.  I have chronic bronchitis and My Dr.
instructed me to use a dehumidifier and a fan on a low setting when my
bronchitis acts up!  That's why I discussed it with Norman,he suggested
doing the same thing for the Kids,especially while their Not Feeling well.
We're trying this as of Tuesday morning,because for now,we only have the
one,and I Need it at night.  If this works,we'll get another one for the
Kids.

I'm also wondering if Cinnamon and Spice's cage could somehow be
contributing to their listlessness.  We thought we cleaned it thoroughly,
but if we missed something,could this be adding to their problems?  I
should mention that our other kids are going in and out with no further
problems.  Only little Smokey still sounds congested and stuffy.  Their
stools are fine,their eating well ,and drinking large plenty of water,but
no more than usual.

I was wondering if you thought part of their problem might be their cage,if
for the time being we could let all 6 stay in our ferret condo?  When we
bought it,the packaging stated you could comfortably keep upto 4 ferrets in
this one cage.  When we first took Cinnamon and Spice home,we kept them in
their own cage because we didn't want to OverCrowd them,and because of it's
familiararity,but also because of the health concerns.  Now we know their
only real problems according to our vet is that they are congested,wich all
6 are being treated for colds,because right from the start,our guys went
after Cinnamon and Spice!  They climbed all over their cage,put their noses
together,so finally Mom gave in and let Cinnamon and Spice out with the
others.  They've been together ever since.  We've been Very Lucky because
all 6 get along Great with one another!  The other thing,is that None of
our Kids,even Smokey will actually Play in their cage.  They use the cages
to get their food,and water,and to sleep only.  Our condo is 3 tiers,with 3
complete floors.  We have 2 lrg.  hammocks and 1 lrge.  bed on the 1st.
floor for sleeping.  The 2nd.  also has a tube with an ols sweat shirt to
wrap in,and 1 water bottle and food dish.  Only our Princess Neesa sleeps
in the tube.  The bottom floor has 2 litter pans.  A corner,and a small cat
box.

Pleas let me know your thoughts on this at [log in to unmask]