From:
Jason Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:02:20 -0600
If you did not get a chance to read my previous two posts then I would
suggest you read them, if possible, before reading this one.  They were:
    Subject: "Truck Driving - Answer" in FML # 2270
and Subject: "Truck Driving Ferrets - A good life or not?".
In these two previous posts I tried to use a little humor (although little
as it was <ggg>) to show some of the ups and downs of traveling with
ferrets.  In the post I am going to attempt to relate the don't of traveling
with ferrets in more of a serious way because Ferret Safety is a serious
issue.

The following is what I have found are the major issues that MUST be taken
into consideration when traveling with a ferret.  Most of what I will be
referencing has to do with the situation where the ferrets are "free
roaming" either all or just part of the time.  Some of what follows though
relates to traveling with ferrets no matter what the situation.

The main point to remember ALWAYS is "Ferret Safety!"  Everything I do is to
either eliminate anything that can cause harm to ferrets or to minimize the
danger.  There will always be some danger that we can not prevent (like a
ferret getting a toenail stuck in between the wire of a cage or your ferret
getting a severe hair ball in his stomach).  We can minimize these dangers
through regular checks the ferret cages to make sure that the cage is in
good condition and also we can give the ferrets hair ball preventative to
help prevent a hair ball but we can't diminish the danger completely.  This
same concept holds true when ferret proofing a house or a vehicle.  We might
not be able to keep our ferrets from potential problems BUT we can
definitely minimize the potential dangers through our actions and our deeds.

For starters, you MUST ferret proof your dash.  This means go over the
entire dash (top, front, and bottom) and make sure that there is no way for
the ferret to get back behind the dash.  They can get trapped, shocked, or
even killed if just the wrong thing happens.  This is a MAJOR danger area
for your ferrets.  You need to ferret proof this area the best way that fits
your situation.  You may use a small wire mesh or the like to cover any
holes that they could get through to the dash area.  In my truck the
manufacturer has already sealed the dash so there is no way to get under the
dash.  Also, make sure that all the vents openings are too small for your
ferret to crawl into.  Especially check the floor vents that the heater
uses!  On some larger vehicles these vents are quite large openings.  If you
have vents throughout your vehicle check EVERYONE to make sure they are all
safe.  Again cover with a mesh of some kind to keep the ferrets out.

Another major problem is the drivers and passengers seats.  In Semi-Trucks
they use air-ride seats.  The entire seat moves (bounces) up and down as you
go down the road.  This can be as fatal to your ferret as a Laz-Y-Boy
rocker.  You Must make sure that you fix this seat so that your ferret can
not get under your seat cause it can be fatal for him if he does.

You must also always make sure that there is nothing on the cupboard on a
shelf that can fall off and hurt the ferret.  Make sure that you shelves or
cupboards have secure doors so they won't come open when you are bumping
down the road.

The next area of concern are the doors.  NEVER leave your doors open to the
outside more then absolutely necessary!  Always make sure that your fuzzy
is not anywhere around the door when you shut them!  Ferrets are extremely
curious animals and they like to look outside and see what is going on.  For
me this problem is a little bit easier to deal with then it would be in a
car.  The floorboards of my truck are probably three feet up off the ground
so whenever I shut the doors I hold the bottom of the door and close it
carefully and slowly.  The whole time I am watching very close for any
movement that could be a fuzzy.  then if all is clear I close it gently.  It
will click once.  I then push on it harder and make it click for the second
time.  By doing this you are doing everything possible to minimize the
danger or injury or death to your ferrets.  This door problem things is
actually harder then you think.  You MUST change a habit that you have had
for a long long time.  Without realizing it we are in the habit of either
shutting the vehicle door without looking or we just slam it shut.  This is
no longer acceptable.  This problem has always been a concern of mine
because when I was 6 years old my mom got into the car and was getting ready
to leave.  As she shut the car door my kitty decided that she wanted to go
with mom.  The cat jumped and the car door shut.  The result was that the
kitty lost her life.  I will always remember very vividly coming home from
school that day and finding out that my cat was dead.  Now, many years
later, I still feel a little pinch in my heart when I think about it.  If
you are going to have a ferret loose in your vehicle, you MUST change that
habit!

Another thing that is a MUST whether or not your ferret is in a cage, ALWAYS
carry your vaccination certificates with you!  I can not stress this enough!
It could save your ferrets life!

Also, use a list like the STAR vet/shelter database and write down a list
of vets and ferret references along your travel route.  If you are a
professional tourist, like myself, then print out the entire list and keep
it with you.  By having this reference I was able to get Sammy to a vet when
he needed immediate care.  I have no doubt that the information on that list
SAVED Sammy's life!  You never know when you are going to need it so be
prepared.

Remember that ferrets don't handle extreme temperatures .  NEVER EVER leave
them in the car, truck, van, or whatever without the heater or the A/C on
(whichever is appropriate for the current weather)!!!  Then only do that for
a couple of minutes.  A quick trip into a store can mean death to a ferret!
Leaving them like that is NOT acceptable!  You must make sure that the
temperature is at a comfortable level at all times.

One last point is be careful where you go.  I am not sure if they will take
your ferrets at the Canada border but since I have been driving with ferrets
I have not been there.  The same goes for California, I will not go into
California because I won't take a chance with my kids lives..

There are a few other things that I do to make life safer and better for
them.  If you are interested in more information please e-mail me.  If
enough people ask I will write another post with more information in it.
Hope this helps someone out there keep their fuzzy safe.

Jason, Sammy, Doris, and Buddy
ICQ # 7528859 (Sammy's Dad)
ICQ chat - www.icq.com
E-mail -  [log in to unmask]