From:
Steven Woodcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:56:26 -0700
Hello All:

First, many warm thanks to everyone who has emailed us about the loss of
our precious little Puck and the problems Mica is going through.  We
appreciate it; it helps to know others are praying for them.

Second, there's hope with Mica!  We were considering having her put to
sleep but she was just *too* full of energy, so we asked our vet to have a
biopsy done.  (She *had* asked us if we wanted this before, but we were
picking up Puck's body and she was *so* certain it was cancer that we
didn't see the point.) Mica does *NOT* have cancer!!  Instead, she's
suffering from a relatively rare type of inflammatory lesion.  Our vet has
seen it in cats but never in ferrets--it figures that our "Mica Moogle"
would be just a bit different.

Anyway, there IS a treatment using cortical steroids that we'll be putting
her on first thing tomorrow.  The good news is that we've had her on
antibiotics since this began and that's probably what has kept her
going--this thing is very infectious.  The bad news is that the steroids
are going to do a number on her immune system, but at this point it's worth
taking that chance.

IF we can knock this thing back down she could make a full recovery.  It's
going to be touch and go for a bit but at least now we've got something we
can *fight*!

Steve and Colleen
Ecstatic in Colorado