From:
David Frischling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2005 19:04:04 -0400
On the topic of itchy ferrets, I noticed that a certain snack I give my
five ferrets really cuts down on itching.

Awhile back, I tried this freeze dried wild salmon snack from the
ferretstore, and because princess (a very stubborn and picky little
girl) liked them so much, I ordered a bunch more.

After giving them this snack routinely for a few days or so, I noticed
that when I went periods of time without giving them the snacks, their
itching was MUCH more pronounced.

However, one of our five would have nothing to do with these snacks, and
after I started giving her cream (small amounts) from grass fed cows (I
initially did this to help her be less skittish), I noticed that she
also stopped itching, entirely!

Based on this, I believe that it's likely that the omega 3 fatty acids
present in high quantities in both wild salmon and grass fed dairy are
what helped my five stop itching almost entirely.

The only time I do see them scratch is if I haven't given them these
items for awhile, or, from time to time, when they go into an attack
frenzy (basically go insane, like only a ferret can), they will sometimes
have to attack themselves to get an itch!

By the way, if anyone is interested in those salmon snacks, there is a
much cheaper source available than the ferretstore.  If anyone wants to
know, let me know.