From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 09:39:48 -0400
Peter Brown wrote:
>All I could find was Cat Linatone and Dog Linatone.
>Is there one made especially for Ferrets?  If not, which one should I use?

There's no Linatone for ferrets, although there is Ferretone, which is
pretty much the same thing.  If you get Linatone, get the cat one.

Doug et al. asked:
>PS - anyone know of any (ughh) flea products that are safe for fuzzies?

Anything that says it's okay on a kitten, mainly pyrethins.  Look in the FAQ
for some more information, and in the "Fleas, Ticks and Your Pet" file that
the FAQ refers to.

Jennifer wrote:
>However, the treats are yellow/gold in color; I'm wondering if this
>could be the cause of her mask turning yellow?!

It probably is, if only in the same way that your fingers turn orange from
snacking on Cheetos.  Our ferrets get yellowish chins at shedding season,
apparently from the Petromalt we give them more regularly then.

>I'm wondering if The Program (the cat version) is safe to use on  ferrets?

According to BIG in a previous issue, "An excellent post on the subject
appears in issue 1169.  According to that, someone at Ciba Geigy suggested
30 mg/kg." On May 20 (whichever issue that was), Neil Vitro said, "Ciba has
done no testing on ferrets, and could not guarantee safety.  However, the
chemists at Ciba that [my vet] spoke with said that there should be no
effect on mammals, and that only insects should be affected."

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>

[Moderator's note: The "dog" Linatone and the "cat" Linatone are exactly
the same product with a different label.  Ferretone is slightly different
though I doubt that is of much significance.  The manufacturer might not
agree on that point tho!  BIG]