From:
Minta Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:51:03 -0800
Both Prednisone and Diazoxide cause the liver to put more sugar into the
blood, if memory serves.

>Prednisone increases the amount of sugar released into the blood, while
>diazoxide effects the amount of insulin released...decreases the amount
>of insulin?  Anyway, I thought both these meds acted on the pancreas?
>Prednisone can have the added benefit of improving inflammatory issues,
>though it can also freak out the liver if the liver is already
>compromised.  Diazoxide, on the other hand, has no effect whatsoever on
>inflammatory issues (I am thinking here as a side-benefit to ferrets
>with IBD), but it also does not effect the liver.

My ferret was recently diagnosed with some form of insolinoma issues, but
in his case, at first, it looked like the pancreas itself was perfectly
normal.  The vet was wondering if maybe his liver was so damaged it was
not releasing enough blood sugar, though normally the culprit is not the
liver but the pancreas.  At first this looked like it could be an issue,
as prednisone would be the preferred drug since it actually increases
blood sugar levels.  But, it could really damage his liver further.  It's
a pretty inflamed and funny-looking liver.  An insulin test actually
showed Linus' problem was indeed too much insulin in his system.  Even
after part of his pancreas was removed, he was still producing too much
insulin.  Lucky for him, we could give him diazoxide (despite the fact we
can't pronounce it!), lower the insulin level, and leave the liver alone.
He doesn't like diazoxide though.  He *loves* ursodiol oil (for his
liver), so much the taste spills into his other meds -- his immuram and
then the diazoxide.  When he gets diazoxide the second time, by itself,
though, he won't take it.  I have to scruff him.  Poor guy.

Minta & Linus