Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:12:13 -0600
Dear FML'ers and Dr. Williams,

I only received one response to me question re: experience with Devil's
Club Supreme and the alcohol content.  I have since made the decision to
continue trying it, since I have witnessed no detrimental side effects
from Fang.  Maybe the slight increase in his recent bc test is a result
of its' use; maybe not.  I realize that with these alternative meds (good
post, Suki) that there are no definates.  I also would not use this with
the exclusion of pred for insulinoma if my Fang was showing any overt
symptoms, as he did prior to his surgery last Feb.  If his bc drops I will
definately talk to my vet about going back on pred.  I spoke with him
yesterday, and we agreed to wait another week for another glucose test.

My new question: Have many of you had your vet use a laser for a
pancreatectomy?  (insulinoma surgery).  When Fang had his original surgery
(non laser), his blood did not clot and he required a donor.  This same
vet (who also does cryosurgery) just got a new laser.  Has anyone out there
ever had a repeat pancreatectomy?  The original nodules were all removed,
but there are possible more now since his bc is coming in at 60, nine
months later.  Palpatation revealed nothing.  He is showing no overt
symptoms of insulinoma YET, but I know that he could crash; I just hate
to put him back on pred as he was before he swung into diabetes.

HISTORY:
Marshall Farms Male, age 5 1/2
Insulinoma last Feb; Pancreatectomy and right adrenal crysurgery
Blood failed to clot post surgery; blood donor; excellent healing
Pred use, gradual to high (up to one ml. 2x a day) to keep bc up past 70.
Swing to diabetes; high 400's in June, 2000
Pred wean; prepared for insulin injections
Totally normal week later prior to starting injections!  bc at 123 !
Low bc.( 55 ) Sept.; showing no overt symptoms; acting spiffy; no meds
60 now; acting spiffy and on trial Devil's Club Supreme
Considering second surgery with laser??
Just go back on pred?

What do those of you with more experience think?  Dr.Williams, your advice
would not undercut my vets (he would greatly appreciate anything that you
might contribute here :>).  Surely there are others out there who could
benefit from this scenario and follow up!  I will keep you guys posted;
this is certainly a learning experience, and it never seems to end.  We,
as Fang's family, are prepared to go the distance to allow him as much
quality time as we can.

God Bless, and Happy Tails,
Lizzi