Date:
Fri, 15 May 2009 19:09:40 +0100
>>So here is my real taboo question: is there a way to painlessly,
>>quickly, and effectively dispatch your small specialty animals
>>in such circumstances, rather than leave them to die of exposure,
>>thirst, starvation, etc.?

>Yes dear, it's called drowning.

I hope the drowning bit is a joke that I didn't get? I cannot imagine
drowning to be a painless and quick death. Or maybe painless but not
without causing suffering. I witnessed a ferret suffocating because of
a mucus plug in one of his mainstem bronchi when the vet didn't put him
to sleep soon enough. That was horrible and will haunt me for the rest
of my life. I can't imagine drowning to be peaceful and kind.

Regarding the carbon dioxide filled chamber, my husband said rats just
fall asleep but if it were us we would start gasping for air and not
drift off peacefully. With ferrets it might be the same, I would talk
to somebody in the know before even thinking of ever possibly doing
something like this.

I didn't catch the beginning of the thread but I would always ask the
vet to put ferrets to sleep, no matter how far away or how much it
costs. I've been at the vets at midnight, at weekends, to have ferrets
put to sleep. A simple intraperitoneal injection with the euthanasia
solution shouldn't cost much and is very good and you don't need
anaesthetic for that.

Apart from that I would never kill one of my healthy animals or leave
them behind in an emergency. Where there's a will, there's a way. I've
got small emergency cages for all so they will all fit in the car. I
am getting worried though because we have so many species living with
us and I do eventually want less animals because I am worried about
emergencies or what the future might bring.

Ulrike