Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:41:29 EDT
Hello everyone,

Department of Fish and Game, several ferret experts were kind enough to
review the page and send me their comments so I could pass them along to
the author of our bill.

One person who took days off from his busy schedule to literally dissect
the page, was Bob Church.  There simply could not have been a better person
to take on the mountain of misinformation and misleading comments from
DFG's 3rd rate wildlife biologist, Ron Jurek.  Mr. Jurek has apparently
made it his life's work at DFG to misrepresent the ferret issue.  He has
completely lost his scientific and ethical compass in his mad drive to
mislead the public and promote DFG's anti ferret campaign.  It's absolutely
incredible how much time and energy he puts into this-- all at a time when
our Governor turned down DFG's request for more funding to hire more staff.
Hey, I have an idea, put Mr. Jurek to work!!!

Anyway, Bob spent a lot of time going over the page and literally tore it
up piecemeal.  I took the most flagrant lies from DFG (pointed out by Bob
and others), put them into a one page letter (I always try to make it one
page with legislators), and sent it to our author.  We have a meeting
with him later this month after the session adjourns and I will again be
speaking with him about DFG's and Jurek's taxpayer sponsored misinformation
campaign.

I think if Bob lived in CA and were here to testify at our hearings (and
was given the time by the chairmen-- not always something that happens by
the way), he would sway many people over.  He's an expert in his field,
writes extremely clearly and with a real flair (I did have to leave out
some of my favorite comments of his because they were just a little too
colorful for the legislature :(, but Bob was writing for my eyes, not
theirs).

Thanks so much Bob, your comments and analysis will really help in
future meetings and hearings.  I only wish you were here to present this
information!

Others that very kindly helped out included:

Scott Sinclair
Elayne Barclay
Linda Iroff
Melanie Ellis
Rob Marsh
Dr. Karen Purcell and
wopgirl? (e-mail address)

I really appreciate the help.  This effort is more than a little exhausting
and the only way I've been able to continue is with the help of others.
Please know that you have all made a difference.

Thanks again.

P.S. Those of you that have a strong stomach and want to see the very
fine efforts and scientific acuity of Mr. Jurek can go to
www.dfg.ca.gov/new.html.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
www.ferretnews.org