From:
Jonathan Broome <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 1996 03:30:02 -0500
Ms. Mooring wrote:
> ...or Gilroy areas, give this _bozo_ a call.
  <snip>
> Mr. _"Smello"_ needs to become aware of the...------------------

Dear Ms. Mooring,

While I can appreciate the feelings you have toward the failure of SB55, and
I may share your opinions of elected officials who don't seem to represent
the opinions we'd like them to, I think you're out of line by stooping to
name-calling.

It does ferret owners no credit to be affiliated with people who vent their
frustrations by leveling insults at their lawmakers.  For a constituency to
be seen as credible, they need to be seen as honorable, and verbal attacks
aren't a good way to go about establishing ferret owners as a serious
political factor to be considered by lawmakers.

I personally doubt that a 'Ferret Lobby' will ever become any shadow of a
forceful political factor.  But regardless, if you want to seriously try and
have an impact on the laws and lawmakers in your area (no matter where you
live), your best approach is to be completely businesslike about the entire
issue.  Retaliating to a disagreement with immature retorts doesn't cut it.
Influencial people are most often remembered for their professional
determination.  You discredit your, and to some extent, every other ferret
owner's professional appearance by slander.

This response isn't meant as a flame, or even a personal 'slap on the
wrist.' I mean it only to try to remind you that there are better ways to
get what we all want, than you have shown us that you've already tried.  The
only reason I posted it openly is to encourage everyone trying to change
their local laws, to do it the right way.

Jonathan P. Broome
mailto:[log in to unmask]