Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 19:03:22 -0400
Hi,

As we were leaving a restaurant this morning, we spotted a big St. Bernard
enclosed in a Pontiac with the windows closed tight.  If it had been a hot
humid day like we experienced several times in July, he would have
suffocated.  I immediately went back into the restaurant and complained
to the person at the desk that the owner of that car had to be found
immediately, or I was going to call the police.  Another gentleman was
standing there who had also complained.  I returned outside and another
woman was next to the car and she said she had also complained.  I said I
would give them five minutes to locate the owner before I called the
police.  Just then, a woman rounds the corner walking slowly towards the
car.  I asked, "Is that your dog?"  She said yes.  I said, "How could you
leave him sealed in that car?????"  She said that when the alarm goes off,
it closes the windows.  The alarm had gone off while we were outside.  If
she knew that, why would she risk leaving the dog in the car?  She still
was walking slowly, so I screamed at her, "OPEN THE CAR NOW AND GET HIM
SOME AIR!!!!"  I wanted to add, you dumb b**ch, but I didn't.  If looks
could kill, she would be six feet under.  She got into the vehicle, didn't
open any windows and drove off.  She must have been concerned that we had
called the police.  I wish I had.  People like that do not deserve to have
an animal.  She was too busy stuffing her face while that dog could be
suffocating.

Animals should never be left in a vehicle for any extended period of time
in hot weather, especially ferrets, which should never be left at all, even
for a few minutes.  It takes no time at all for a vehicle to turn into an
oven.  When I travel, I bring along a nylon and mesh carrier to take my
ferret inside places I have to go.  I've taken my ferret into restaurants
like this and have only been told to leave once.

Does anyone know the law pertaining to pets being left in vehicles
unattended in hot weather?

Moxie and Chance