From:
Julie Thornton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:17:36 -0800
Hi all -

I've been intrigued by the number of posts recently about females with
swelling in the vulva.  I'm hoping someone can help my DEW.  I got her as a
result of a breeder/shelter going out of business last July.  She was
reportedly 8 months old, having been purchased at a petstore by a person
who'd learned she was to be put down due to agressive biting.

She came to me a viscious biter, and stone deaf.  After a couple of months,
she became a trusting friend to me, but I don't trust her with anyone else
100%.  She tolerates my family and does well with the other ferrets, but
generally doesn't accept other humans.  That's her right, and I will never
place her in any other home.  She trusts me, I trust her....

The problem: yesterday I noticed during routine butt-exams that she has
some swelling of the vulva.  She was supposed to be spayed by the breeder
(whoever that is) before placement in a Michigan pet store, but I'm
wondering if there is some seasonal thing that she's experienceing or
another issue I should address.  I can't just take her to the vet for a
surgery to check her spay status, as that seems awfully cruel given her sin
of allowing a little swelling, but given the time of year, all are starting
to shed winter coats and drop weight so it is challenging to be sure she's
doing well.

Any suggestions??

Julie