From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:55:40 -0500
Estrogen is a broad term covering a number of compounds which have similar
effects.  Estradiol is one particular compound, which is considered to be
the ultimate hormone of the estrogenic pathway.  There are a number of
intermediate compounds which in ferrets can exert the same effects (hair
loss, vulvar swelling, a return to intact behavior), but which are not yet
estradiol.)

For those who like to read the detailed information, at the BOTTOM of
this post, I am including an abstract from Dr. Karen Rosenthal, who is
the pioneer in hormonal testing of adrenal disease in ferrets.

Let me summarize, though.  Of the original 7 hormones tested in the
original Tennessee profile, three hormones, (estradiol,
17-hydroxyprogesterone, and androstenedione) were considered significant.
In this study, only 22% of ferrets had all three hormones elevated.  Thus,
if you are testing for only one of the three hormones (in this case
estradiol), you run a significant risk of having the test being a false
negative.  Similar signs can result from elevations of
17-hydroxyprogesterone, or androstenedione (an androgen intermeidate of
estradiol).  The bottom line of Dr. Rosenthal's research was this:
"Because concentration of a particular hormone was not high in all ferrets,
we recommend determining plasma concentrations of several sex steroids,
including androstenedione, 17-hydroxyprogesterone, and estradiol."

Estradiol testing is available in a number of labs, not just Cornell's.
If that particular test is elevated, you have your diagnosis.  But if it
is not, you haven't eliminated a diagnosis of adrenal disease.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list

[This post was followed by an abstract.]

If you are not seeing evidence of adrenal disease in your ferrets (hair
loss, vulvar swelling, a return to intact sexual behavior) then this is
not a require part of the annual checkup.